Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The other job... "which I'm in during these days" is quite an interesting job... more than anyone can imagine. And it's not only related to journalism stuff, and talking to new people and having different points of view about many issues in our society, and also outside it, the thrill and excitement even goes far beyond these things, when it comes to "meeting" new people as journalists or intellectuals. ( Actually it's something I haven't yet experienced in the real life till now, but I hope I can do it... don't even know how coz I'm contradicted in thought concerning this issue :( . I wish to do it a lot... meeting new people "specially if they were foreigners" and having a general chat about a certain issue, or trying to convince them with your point of view... this is something that certainly affects much the communication, negotiation, and language skills for anyone, besides encouraging you to read more and more, and be an intellectual knowledgeable person.
About intellectuals :), more than a person affected me much during the short period I had in this job, or at least, made me feel quite proud to talk to them and happy to know their points of view about different issues... One of these people whom I liked most was Mr. Hossam Al-Hamalawy, I was so convinced with every single word he said, though I actually differ with him in some of his beliefs. He also proved to be a gentle man in his way of talking, and his way of talking was full of reasoning to the extent that I wished to talk to him again about other issues to know what he thinks about them as well. :) Having a phone interview with him was after ... about 40 days of working in that new place.
Another person "I'm really very very proud to talk to" was Mr. Abdel-Halim Kandil from Kefaya. Also a very gentle man who knows what he's talking about, knows exactly his aim and mission in this country. He really proved "in my opinion at least" his great love to the country, made me feel while talking to him that I also should have a bigger role& mission towards my great beloved country, which I sincerely love... and feel great pain and sorrow, like any other faithful Egyptian, for the current state of the country.

Not talking about a certain field, not talking only about the corruption and human rights violations all around the country, but I'm talking about... even much simpler things that people don't notice with the rough tide of all such circumstances happening around. . . You know... in the past, people from all around the world used to visit Egypt and then... some of them complain from the awful traffic in Egypt :) (and they have a total right to do), some others complain from the dirts and garbbage, standing along beside people in different streets, dead silent garbages which are increasing continuosly... that you fear one day you would wake up to find the mountain of garbage just beside your home window "you know, just saying Hello to you".Other MANY people complained from beggars and their comprehensive existence in the Egyptian streets. If you're living in Egypt, or even lived there for 2 months at least, you may memorize the beggars in your zone :) with their faces, their way of talking, their "children" collecting money with them secretly :P , and even their needs and prayers they say whenever they see someone.
About beggars, I remember a situation I met just a few days ago, when I was buying something, and then I found a poor woman sitting down on the street, so I gave her some money, put my hand on her shoulder, and I smiled to her. Then I left... that's it. 2 days later, I went to buy something from the same place, and when I was leaving it, I saw the woman just the same as the previous time, and she was begining to ask "in her usual daily used sad& bitter tone" for money, but as soon as her eyes met mine, she laughed and told me in a total different tone, "Is that you again?" and just smiled and looked infront of her... :) I guess there's no comment. That's something we got used to in Egypt. It's a job for them, and actually quite a successful job, no doubt about it. Beggars in Egypt represent a separate class, beside the existing poor class, Berocratic class, and "the named" middle-class which no more exist in the real life.


Let's return to the most thing which makes my heart torn into pieces in Egypt... People from around the world may complain from many things in Egypt, but what they always praised and admired a lot about this beautiful country was its people... kind, simple, very helpful Egyptians. Real brave men who dare to face anyone to help someone seeking help. A beautiful society who always co-operated whenever something happened or someone was crying for help. mmm.... such things, Do they still exist??! Surely there are still good people coz virtue never dies in the whole society, but actually corruption and terribleness even reached people's morals a lot. You no more find people who would help you if you needed help in the street, or be patient if your car broke down in the middle of the street and you can not turn it on quickly, or... I don't know. there are many examples actually. But that's something which makes me feel terribly sad when I think about. The ongoing deterioration of the Egyptian morals, and the absence of co-operation and honesty which have "always" been a distinguished quality the Egyptian people are known for.

No comments: